Under the direction of the research scientist/chemical engineer and Technical team leader, provides safe and high quality, cost-effective operation of a variety of testing equipment/instrument and laboratory operations to provide data for various Separations process R&D programs and requested work to Chevron customers. Conducts experiments using hazardous chemicals following good laboratory practices and according to Chevron Operational Excellence procedures.
- Will be provided work direction by one or more research scientists/engineers. The work involves preparing separation agents (solvents, adsorbents, membranes, etc), writing/updating procedures, operating, troubleshooting, maintaining, modifying separation and reaction testing equipment, such as distillation, adsorption, absorption, solvents extraction, membranes, filtration, and other separation processes testing units, etc.
- May work with compressed gas cylinders
- Operates, troubleshoots, fixes, and maintains analytical instruments, such as gas chromatography, Mass spectrometer, sulfur and nitrogen speciation detectors, Lumax analyzers, Sorption property analyzer, etc.
- May set up small new bench scale equipment as needed. Teams with co-workers, the shops, and safety experts for more extensive building/modification of microunits.
- Assists in research and development of new physical and chemical separation processes for removal of impurities from hydrocarbons and water streams. Work is at the lab, bench, and potentially pilot scale.
- Attention to safety is critical, in working with chemicals, high-pressure and high-temperature process units.
- Technician should show motivation to help developing and/or applying new analytical techniques such as GC, MS, On Line Speciation Analyzers, etc.
- Minimum of 2 years R&D laboratory experience (university lab courses and experiences count) preferred in the areas of chemistry or chemical engineering. Experience should include safe work with hazardous chemicals.
- Teamwork and ability to multi-task simultaneously
- Proficient in Microsoft (Word, Outlook, Excel), data manipulation and graphing along with analytical instrument software
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Oakland, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A